Pages

Jan 6, 2015

Midweek Music Muse /// Come Close Now



Christa Wells, my friends, is my favorite lady solo artist. Christa’s songs touch me just when I need them and they always speak to my heart. She is not afraid to speak the truth and she doesn’t sugarcoat life as some other songwriters do. I admire how her honesty and deepest soul shine through her lyrics. Christa tells it how it is, yet she always leaves you with a renewed hope in Christ.

2014 was a hard year for me emotionally, and time after time I drifted off to sleep with Christa’s music in my ears, reminding me that dawn always comes after the dark. On some rough days, the thing that kept me from a breakdown was singing in harmony along with her, as I cleaned the kitchen or folded laundry.  When I needed an anthem to help me find my courage, Christa’s words of our worth in Christ became that song. On the easiest of days my spirit would soar and I danced along with the music, spinning ‘round and ‘round.

The song Come Close Now has become a heart cry or sort of prayer, as my heart breaks daily, for a one so dear to my soul. In the night I cry ‘if only you’d let me, let me come close’. But even as my heart breaks again, God is good. God is always good. He is there, arms around me, as I go through my fire. He has been there in the most excruciating moments and not shied away.




What he has done for me, so shall I do for others. I will go through the pain with you, my dear; just please let me.


Come Close Now
by Christa Wells

I'm afraid of the space where you suffer
Where you sit in the smoke and the burn
I can't handle the choke or the danger
Of my own foolish, inadequate words
I'll be right outside if you need me
Right outside

What can I bring to your fire?
Shall I sing while the roof is coming down?
Can I hold you while the flames grow higher,
Shall I brave the heat and come close with you now?
Can I come close now?

So we left you to fight your own battle
And you buried your hope with your faith
'Cause you heard no song of deliverance
There on the nights that followed the wake
We never 
thought to go with you
Afraid to ask

What can I bring to your fire?
Shall I sing while the roof is coming down?
Can I hold you while the flames grow higher,
Shall I brave the heat and come close with you now?
Can I come close now?

Lay down our plans
Lay down the sure-fire fix
Grief's gonna stay awhile,
There is no cure for this
We watch for return,
We speak what we've heard
We sit together, in the burn

What can I bring to your fire?
Shall I sing while the roof is coming down?
Can I hold you while the flames grow higher,
Shall I brave the heat and come close with you now?
Can I come close now?



I hope that Christa’s words touch you as much as they have touched me. Look her up and let her give you some encouragement and some heart to heart love. Really listen to what she has to say, and feel the words move your soul.

Let us all face the fire with one another, never forgetting that the Lord is with us. We, children of God, must not leave each other to suffer alone.

Walk through someone’s fire with them. Let no man walk alone.

<3 Emma

1 comment:

  1. Hello Emma,
    These are BEAUTIFUL words! Thank you.
    We are not meant to do life alone. Nope nope nope(as ducky would say)(from a very old movie).

    I have a question for you. Would you call me at your convenience. I am pretty much home bound right now so anytime works for me. Hugs and God's blessings be with you!

    ReplyDelete