Pages

Dec 13, 2014

Thankfulness /// The Blessing Of Family




To celebrate this season of thankfulness four out of the five families on my mother’s side gather at an aunt’s house; and so we begin next few days of life together, a family united. The 19 of us will share one shower, prepare meals together, do yard work, go shopping, wash dishes, take care of the baby, play games, watch movies, color, fold laundry, play, and share what we are thankful for….together. A community living everyday life together. 

Even in a house with enough room for everyone to spread out (at least a little bit) somehow we all end up as close together as possible, all together in two of the adjoining rooms. All the seats on the sofa are taken, the baby is being played with, some of the children are sprawled out in the little bit of walk space there is coloring, dishes are rattling, on the tables games are being played, a meal is being prepared, everyone is chattering, and I sit in a corner simply observing. These are the sounds and sights of family.

Each of us comes with their own dramas, and heartaches, and failures, but still we love one another. We are united under the banner of Christ, which is love. Each one of us is a broken mess, but we embrace each other anyway, knowing that Jesus makes all things new. We are a family and we would give our lives for one another if need be, and the very least we can do is forgive each other their faults as Christ has forgiven us. Living life together, even for a short time, is not easy, but love bears all burdens.

We cherish the time we get to be together under one roof, each of us having traveled to be there. Yes, we may have to wait in line for the bathroom, sleep on the floor, or share toothpaste, but this is what community is. It is working together to make things run as smoothly as possible, each working to help the others, sharing what is ours, and doing what we can to create a beautiful harmony.

As Thanksgiving Day comes to a close everyone piles in close together, each one still stuffed from the home cooked feast a few hours earlier, and we read what each is thankful for from a blue mason jar overflowing with praises. We give thanks for each other, our blessings, and even the little things in life such as gingham fabric, plastic cups, warm hats, and breakfast cereal, and one little child gives thanks for underwear. One after another the slips of paper are read off, and there are smiles and even a few tears of thankfulness spread round. Each person goes to bed with a heart a bit more full and a few new happy memories to carry with them. This is community sharing their hearts and putting their quarrels behind them: simply living a life of thanksgiving.



Later, I lie there in my spot in the long row of beds, each filled with a slumbering child, and listen to the sounds of the quiet. I hear the peaceful breathing of the babe beside me, the gentle snoring of one of the children down the row, the whir of the fan, the rustle of blankets as someone turns over, and the murmurings of sleep talking from the golden haired girl on my other side. My heart lifts up its prayers and praises to the Father and a longing to sing comes over me, but I content myself with a gentle hum so as not to wake the little ones. Sleep does not come for a long time, so the prayers and praises keep flowing from my heart. This is community in the most peaceful moments; each person lies so close to the others, together they dream and for a time there is quiet. Together we rest before the bustle of the next day begins.

All too soon the few days are over and we find ourselves packing our bags back up, picking up the scattered toys, splitting up the leftovers between families, eating the last few cookies, folding up the dozens of blankets, loading up the van, and soon saying our goodbyes. There are hugs and kisses all roundand then we are on the road headed home. This is community--separating for a time, but loving each other no less. That love will carry us through until next time we will travel across the miles and be together as one, a family that loves.


And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3: 15-17


As I read this verse, my thankfulness for my family is multiplied, for without them I would be, oh, so different. They have lead me in the way of our Father, showing me His love through themselves. It is with my family that I have learned many life lessons. So many of my favorite memories are of them: singing hymns together, playing in the creek, greeting new babies into the world, opening stockings, and preparing meals for together. They have helped me cultivate my talents and supported me through every hard time. I thank the Lord for the blessing of family He has so generously gifted to me.



But above all I am thankful for Jesus. I am nothing without Him. I cannot fathom what it would be like to go throughout life with His immeasurable love, His hands guiding and protecting me, and the promise of a perfect life with Him. He is the one who makes my heart overflowing with thankfulness. I owe Him my life.

<3 Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment